Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pizza Box Drying Rack

Hello! Here is a Pinterest project that I recently did that will be helpful in my classroom! We do a lot of projects that require paint, glue, things that need to dry and we don't have many surfaces in my classroom, so I decided to make a drying rack! This project cost me less than $2.00 (for a 3 oz can of spray paint) and I made two of them. Granted, I already had white duck tape, clear packaging tape and pretty contact paper, but those things are pretty inexpensive.

I went to Donatos and they were very nice to me and graciously donated 16 pizza boxes to make two drying racks with 8 slots each. Thank you Donatos!

You have to cut the entire front off. I expected it to be just a flap and be super easy, but Donatos boxes are folded and tucked into flaps so it took a bit longer and I had to be careful. I saw on Pinterest they used Little Caesars? Maybe their boxes only have the flaps.
Then I tape the sides using duck tape. Once you take off the front flap, there is nothing holding those front sides together.

Here is how they looked once I completed that on all 8 boxes.

I tape them using clear packaging tape. I tried to make it as smooth as possible but it was hard. I started by taping them two at a time, then stacking them and taping the pairs, but my husband did the second one and I think he just taped them in one big loop.

I added duck tape and extra support from those cut off front flaps on the top and the bottom.

I covered it in pretty contact paper you saw in a previous post! And, I sprayed the inside with a thin layer of white spray paint to lighten it up, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't thick and sticky inside.


The lighting isn't the best, but it turned out well!



3 comments:

  1. Very cool! I just found your blog and following you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz-Thank you so much! I am "small" in the blogging world but I do like to post when I do Pinterest ideas and things in my classroom so people can see how they actually pan out. Be looking for more posts in August! Thanks for following me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is very informative. Packing can be a long hectic process but it can be made easier by following the tips that you have mentioned above. Thanks for sharing such important and useful information. Keep it up.
    The Custom Packaging Boxes
    Custom Boxes Wholesale
    Business Cards
    Mailer Boxes

    ReplyDelete